I’m always looking for principles to guide change… the International Council of Mining and Minerals developed 10 Principles to guide implementation of a Sustainable Development Framework. Test these as you start to build a more “sustainable company”.
The 10 principles
- Implement and maintain ethical business practices and sound systems of corporate governance.
- Integrate sustainable development considerations within the corporate decision-making process.
- Uphold fundamental human rights and respect cultures, customs and values in dealings with employees and others who are affected by our activities.
- Implement risk management strategies based on valid data and sound science.
- Seek continual improvement of our health and safety performance.
- Seek continual improvement of our environmental performance.
- Contribute to conservation of biodiversity and integrated approaches to land use planning.
- Facilitate and encourage responsible product design, use, re-use, recycling and disposal of our products.
- Contribute to the social, economic and institutional development of the communities in which we operate.
- Implement effective and transparent engagement, communication and independently verified reporting arrangements with our stakeholders.